DIY Planter | My Pallet Garden

May 26, 2013


I was so excited to finish this project, I forgot to take pictures of each step. So I'll try to explain each step with pictures of the finished pallet.

                                                                                  How I put my pallet together







Done!
Now it's time to fill your pallet with potting soil. This was the most time consuming and frustrating part of the process. I don't have a picture, but I stapled a temporary layer of landscaping fabric to the front of the pallet. This allowed the soil to stay in place while I filled the pallet from the top. Fill about 1/3 of the pallet at a time, packing and lightly watering the soil as you go. Once fully filled, lay the pallet flat to plant the plants. Thoroughly water when planting is complete. I let my pallet lie flat over night allowing the dirt to settle. (Side Note: If I wasn't in such a hurry to see the outcome, I probably would've allowed it to lie flat for a few more days.) Once your pallet is placed in an upright position, the soil will continue to settle. Some of the soil may even fall out especially when watering. After a few days, once the roots take hold, the soil will be more firmly in place. 

I used a variety of plants. I took a few things into consideration when selecting my plants...

Light LevelsFull Sun, Partial Sun / Partial Shade, Dappled Sun, Full Shade
Max Height - Do not select plants that will grow to be too large for your pallet.
Spacing - Select plants that can be planted relatively close together. More than likely you will be placing plants close together, depending upon the size of your pallet.



Almost everything is growing nicely except the thyme.


I LOVE IT!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment